About the Department
Welcome to the Department of International
The University of Georgia. We are one of three
departments in the
School of Public & International Affairs, and are also
affiliated with the
Center for International Trade & Security (CITS) and the
Center for the Study of Global Issues (GLOBIS).
department was formed in 2001 when the School of Public & International
Affairs was founded. Formerly the department had been part of the
larger Political Science department in Franklin College. We moved
into a newly renovated Candler Hall in August, 2003, and began offering
courses with the INTL prefix that fall.
We currently have 11
tenured and tenure-track faculty in our department, teaching a wide array
of topics including introduction to global studies, comparative politics,
foreign policy, and strategic intelligence. Many of our faculty have
won prestigious teaching awards at the school and university levels.
The department currently offers four degree programs: an undergraduate A.B. program, a Masters of International Policy (MIP) program, and MA and Ph.D. programs offered jointly with the Department of Political Science.
The town of Athens resides on the banks of the Oconee River in Northeast
Georgia. It was founded in 1801 on the site of an 18th century
trading settlement named Cedar Shoals.
Athens is between 600 to 800
feet above mean sea level, and because of its geographic location is
sheltered from much of the extreme weather of the winter months. The
town's location puts it within an hours drive of both the North Georgia
mountains and the city of Atlanta, and a four hour drive to the Atlantic
Athens is served by a daily newspaper and an independent student paper at UGA. There are also six local radio stations plus two University radio stations.
UGA's main campus in Athens covers 605 acres, the historic downtown section of Athens bordering the northern part of campus. Downtown Athens features a number of stores, restaurants, and music venues. The vibrant local music scene has produced such bands as The B-52s, REM, Pylon, and Widespread Panic.
About Candler Hall
1900, the Georgia Legislature appropriated $45,000 for the construction of
a men's dormitory to be named in honor of Governor Allen Daniel Candler.
Completed in 1902, Candler served primarily as a boys dormitory until
World War II, when the U.S. Navy renovated the building, renamed it
"Yorktown Barracks," and used it as a dormitory for their Pre-Flight
School. Towards the end of the war and for a time thereafter female
students were housed in Candler until it reverted back into a boys dorm.
In the years since, Candler has been home to the Institute of Higher
Education, the Office of International Public Service and Outreach, the
Institute of African American Studies, and the Office of International
Development, to name just a few.
In 2003 Candler Hall underwent
extensive renovations, restoring some of its historic features that were
changed or removed during past renovations. Hard wood floors were
installed, ceilings were returned to their original height, and the
stairwells were returned to their original locations in the building. Since August 4, 2003 Candler Hall has been home to the
Department of International Affairs and the School of Public and
International Affairs. The building is located on North Campus next to Herty Field between Gilbert and Meigs Halls.
A more complete telling of
Candler Hall's history can be found here.